Select Page

Has the flu been going around your workplace, school, or household? It’s that time of year and many are finding themselves stuck in bed all day because of it. But is it really the flu that is making you nauseous, weak, and short of breath? Keep in mind that flu season and your burning season tend to go hand-carbon monoxidein-hand, and what you could be experiencing might be the early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that forms as you burn fuel in your fireplace or stove. If your system is faulty or broken down in any way, your risk of exposure will increase dramatically, and you and your family could wind up facing some serious life-threatening illnesses. Carbon monoxide is highly poisonous, and it leads to hundreds of deaths every single year. Along with this, thousands of people wind up in the hospital after exposure, and infants, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems or breathing problems are especially at risk.

Symptoms Of Exposure

Now, what makes carbon monoxide especially threatening is that symptoms of exposure tend to be really similar to symptoms of the flu, meaning many won’t recognize that they’re breathing it in at all. The following ailments are signs of exposure:

  • Nausea
  • Trouble breathing
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Chest pain

As you can see, many of the symptoms could be passed off as the flu or even a cold. Because of this, it is important to be on high alert, especially is everyone else in the home is experiencing the same issues. If symptoms seem to be lasting longer than usual, we urge you to visit the doctor and get tested for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Keeping Your Home & Family Safer

So, what can a homeowner do to prevent exposure? First of all, be sure to invest in regular maintenance for your appliances! By having a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep look your fireplace and chimney over at least once per year, you ensure any damages or obstructions are spotted and addressed, minimizing your risk of breathing in carbon monoxide significantly.

Homeowners should also have carbon monoxide detectors installed on every level of their home and outside of all bedrooms. These should all be interconnected, as well, so if one sounds, they will all sound. Be sure to test them at least once a month, and replace batteries (or the units themselves) as necessary.

If your detector does go off, get everyone out of your home immediately and call for help. The faster you get medical attention, the better, as carbon monoxide can cause brain damage, respiratory issues, and other lifelong issues.

The Team At The Chimney Doctor Is Here To Help

The Chimney Doctor crew is equipped with the tools, training, and knowledge to help you out with it all. We are certified with the CSIA, the NFI, and with HeatShield, so when we’re installing or servicing your appliance, you can bet that we’ll get the job done right. We are highly dedicated to our customer’s safety and, above all else, we want you to get the care and protection you deserve.

We are also members of the NCSG and the NFPA, so you can bet we have the skill set necessary to help you out with it all. If are at all concerned about the state of your appliance, we urge you to give us a call right away. We’re here and happy to answer any questions you may be facing!

What Are You Waiting For? Schedule Your Inspection Today!

We offer all three levels of chimney inspections, so no matter what state your chimney is in, we are qualified to help. If you have yet to get your annual overview completed, or if you feel that your system is not running as safely or as efficiently as it should be, then don’t hesitate to reach out to our team. We can set you up with an appointment right away so that you can move forward with the peace of mind you deserve.

Should we spot damages, build-up, or any broken or missing parts, we can take the next appropriate steps. We offer a wide range of services, and we are certain have the equipment and knowledge to help you with any problems you may be facing.

Don’t put it off any longer. If you live in Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Delta, Montrose, or any of the towns or cities surrounding, the time to get in touch with our qualified professionals is now. The care you need is just a phone call away!