A fireplace is a beautiful addition to any home, but it can also be dangerous if not used correctly. Fireplace screens and doors can play a big role in keeping your family safer. They help to contain the sparks and embers that come out of the fireplace, ensuring they don’t land on your rugs, furniture, or anybody standing nearby.
What Are Fireplace Enclosures?
Fireplace enclosures are an important part of fireplace safety. As mentioned, they help to keep sparks and embers contained, preventing them from causing burns or fires. Enclosures also help guarantee fireplace safety for kids and pets.
There are various fireplace enclosures available, ranging from simple screens to more elaborate doors and gates. When choosing an enclosure, it’s important to consider the size and layout of your fireplace, as well as the age of your children – fireplace safety for children should always be a priority! With a little bit of planning and some help from our team, you can find an enclosure that will provide a safe and stylish addition to your home.
There are two main types of fireplace enclosures: screens and doors. Let us explore their differences…
Fireplace Door Benefits
Fireplace doors are installed in front of the fireplace opening and typically have handles or knobs that allow them to be opened in order to access the fireplace. Some fireplace doors are permanently affixed to the fireplace opening, while others are hinged and can be opened and closed as needed.
Fireplace doors come in a variety of sizes, styles, and materials, and they can be purchased at most home improvement stores. Compared to fireplace screens, fireplace doors can more expensive, but they offer a number of benefits:
- Fireplace doors provide a barrier that prevents sparks and embers from escaping the fireplace and igniting nearby items.
- Fireplace doors can help to increase the efficiency of the fireplace by keeping the heat in the firebox.
- When closed, fireplace doors can help to keep the room warmer by blocking drafts.
- Fireplace doors add a touch of style and sophistication to the fireplace.
- If you have young children or pets, a fireplace door is a better option. A screen can be easily knocked over, but a door will provide a more solid barrier.
Is a Fireplace Screen Right for Me?
Fireplace screens serve two primary purposes: they protect your home from flying sparks and embers, and they enhance the aesthetic appeal of your fireplace. There are a wide variety of fireplace screens available on the market, from simple mesh screens to freestanding units with ornate metalwork. When choosing a fireplace screen, it’s important to consider both function and form.
For example, a screen with intricate scrollwork may look beautiful but it will be less effective at keeping embers contained. On the other hand, a plain mesh screen may not enhance the look of your fireplace, but it will do a good job of containing any errant sparks. Ultimately, the best fireplace screen is the one that strikes the perfect balance between form and function.
Compared to fireplace doors, fireplace screens can a more affordable option, and they offer the added benefit of being able to be removed when they are not needed.
Why Install a Fireplace Door or Screen?
Fireplaces are a great addition to any home, providing a warm and inviting space to gather with family and friends. However, fireplaces also come with a certain degree of risk. In fact, the U.S. Fire Administration reports that thousands of residential fires are started by fireplace/chimney fires.
One of the more common ways that house fires start is by sparks or embers escaping from the fireplace and landing on something combustible nearby, like a piece of furniture or a rug. This is why it’s so important to have a screen or door in front of your fireplace at all times when it’s in use.
Another reason to use a screen or door is to keep children and pets away from the fire. It’s all too easy for a curious child or pet to get too close to the flames and get hurt. Finally, both people and your furniture, rugs, and wood floors can be damaged and burned by sparks that fly out. The best way to prevent this is by installing a measure of protection.
How Do I Choose the Right Enclosure for My Fireplace?
When it comes to choosing a fireplace screen or door, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- The Size of Your Fireplace Opening: One of the most important things to consider when choosing a fireplace screen or door is the size of your fireplace opening. You’ll want to make sure that the screen or door you choose is big enough to cover the entire opening.
- The Style of Your Fireplace: Another thing to keep in mind when choosing a fireplace screen or door is the style of your fireplace. This is because you want to make sure that the screen or door you choose complements the overall look of your fireplace.
- The Material of the Screen or Door: When choosing a fireplace screen or door, you should also keep in mind the material of it. The screen or door will need to be made from a durable material that can withstand the heat of the fire and effectively put on those sparks.
By choosing a fireplace screen or door that is both stylish and durable, you can be sure that your family will be safe from the dangers of a fire – without affecting the aesthetic of your living space.
Reach Out Now
Contact The Chimney Doctor if you need help with your fireplace in Grand Junction or any of the surrounding areas. We offer peace of mind for your family by providing the best products and services available. Call (970) 234-3330 or reach out online today.