Picture this – the snow gently falling outside while you’re cozied up on the couch with your fuzzy socks on, your warm blanket draped across your legs, and sipping on hot chocolate. The soft glow of your fireplace perfectly complements the Christmas tree. It’s like a scene straight out of a magazine. The only thing missing are the classic Christmas movies!
Here at The Chimney Doctor, we believe one of our greatest duties is to ensure that your winter wonderland is not just a picturesque scene, but a safe and snug haven for your family to create memories in all season long. From thorough inspections to meticulous chimney sweeps, you can rely on us for your chimney care services.
Ready to schedule? Give us a call or book with us online. We’re here to help!
Can I Mount My TV Above My Fireplace?
Generally speaking, heat and electronics don’t mix. So whether or not you can mount a tv above your fireplace is an excellent question. While it is definitely safe and possible to do so, there are a few things you need to keep in mind for both safety and enjoyment. If you’ve recently had an inspection and your chimney technician has given you the thumbs up that your fireplace is safe and ready to use, then usually you can go ahead with mounting a TV.
That said, you should still keep the following in mind:
- Proper Clearances: When it comes to mounting your TV, It is important to keep in mind both an enjoyable viewing experience and a safe distance. This typically means mounting the center of your TV no more than 70 inches off the floor and at least 5 inches above the mantle.
- TV Mount: Make sure you use a sturdy and appropriate TV wall mount that can support the size and weight of your TV. Using a TV mount that tilts or swivels can also help adjust the viewing angle to help ensure a comfortable viewing experience for everyone in the room.
- Cable Management: Tangled and visible cables can be a tripping or fire hazard, and they take away from the sleek and polished appearance of your fireplace setup too. Whether you tackle that mess by concealing cables within the wall, using cable clips, or opting for decorative channels, the overall goal is to turn chaos into order that’s safe to be around. Again, just keep appropriate clearances in mind!
- Safety Guidelines: Always follow the safety guidelines outlined by the TV manufacturer and your fireplace installer – this includes recommendations regarding distance, heat tolerance, and proper installation procedures.
- Professional Installation: If you are still unsure about whether or not you can mount a TV above your fireplace, consult with a professional who specializes in both fireplaces and TV mounting. An expert can assess your specific situation, while taking into account factors like heat exposure, structural considerations, and aesthetic preferences, and give you a setup you can be confident in.
5 Best Holiday Movies – and What They Can Teach Us About Fireplace Safety
🎄 National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
Arguably one of the best Christmas movies out there, this classic favorite has a main character we can’t help but laugh at. Clark Griswold embarks on a hilariously chaotic quest to create the perfect Christmas for his family. In the midst of the festivities, one of Clark’s family members lights the Christmas tree on fire.
Although funny in movies, it is a scary scene that takes place in nearly 200 homes every year according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). This serves as a great reminder to keep your live tree watered and all decorations a safe distance away from anything that could potentially catch it on fire.
🎄 Home Alone
A young boy by the name of Kevin McCallister is accidentally left behind when his family goes on vacation. Although excited about his newfound freedom, his joy is quickly interrupted when two burglars break into his home. Using his imagination and the tools he found at home, Kevin sets up a series of booby traps for the intruders.
Is anybody else grateful they don’t have kids nearly as devious and crafty as Kevin McCallister? While funny to watch Marv and Harry get entangled in a house full of traps, it’s a subtle reminder on what unsupervised kids will get into. Be sure to talk with your kids about how to be safe around the fireplace this season!
🎄 Dr. Suess’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas
We haven’t met anybody who doesn’t like watching any of the Grinch movies. The misadventures and eventual heartwarming transformation that the Grinch undergoes at the end makes it enjoyable for all ages to watch.
We can’t help but wonder how little the Grinch would have been able to steal, though, had the Whos in Whoville had properly installed chimney caps. This minor, yet important, component on the top of the chimney is responsible for keeping rain, snow, debris, and unwanted visitors from making their way down the chimney.
Don’t take chances this season. Instead, call The Chimney Doctor to ensure your chimney cap is installed and working properly.
A great holiday comedy for the whole family! Buddy, a human raised by elves at the North Pole, discovers his biological father, Walter Hobbs, is on the naughty list. Buddy embarks on a journey to New York City to meet his biological father and his childlike innocence clashes with the cynicism of the real world. Along with connecting with his family, Buddy sets out on a mission to spread Christmas cheer and save the holiday spirit.
Don’t be like Walter and end up on the naughty list for neglecting your chimney and fireplace. Schedule your inspection and sweep with The Chimney Doctor today, and keep the warmth of the season in your heart and in your home.
🎄 A Christmas Story
In this movie, young Ralphie spends the holiday season convincing everyone he knows that a Red Ryder BB gun is the perfect gift. His wishes are met with the iconic line “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid!”
This season, let’s all keep an “eye out” for signs of maintenance repairs on your fireplaces and chimneys. From leaks and cracks, to blockages and creosote buildup, a little attention to maintenance can help prevent unexpected mishaps.
Leave the Chimney & Fireplace Care to Us
There’s nothing more important than time with your family this holiday season. Regardless of which movie you choose to watch, whether that be one or all of them, rely on The Chimney Doctor to take care of all of your chimney and fireplace needs. From inspections and sweeps to installs and repairs, we are here to help.
So give us a call today at 970-234-3330 or request an appointment online. Let the holiday movie marathon begin!