Winter is gone, and spring and summer have finally come back around here on the Western Slope of CO. Which means now is a great time to have fireplace updates or changeouts completed, along with any necessary maintenance to ensure your system is ready to go when fall comes back around.
Spring is the Best Time for Fireplace Updates
Why do we recommend getting this maintenance done in the spring? Well, if you ask us, the best time to address any big change to your chimney and venting system is when it’s not in use. It won’t disrupt your burning season, and when that first cold day arrives, you’ll be able to use your system with ease and peace of mind.
Along with this, the first cold snap typically causes our phones to start ringing off the hook. We schedule as calls come in and, the longer you wait, the harder it will be to ensure you get the time and day that works best for you. That said, if you schedule your service before temperatures drop, chances are we will be able to accommodate you – and your schedule – quite easily.
Finally, a lot of the things we need to complete during (or before starting) your upgrade require the use of materials that need to cure in a certain temperature range. In the wintertime, many services simply cannot be completed or, if they are, won’t last near as long.
We Have Many Options for Your Fireplace Upgrade
Are you ready to invest in some quality updates? Here are some great options we offer:
- Convert to an insert. Looking to increase efficiency by converting to an insert? Adding an insert can be a relatively quick way to switch to a new fuel type, and it can improve the look of your space, too. If you think this might be the right option for you, we can help.
- Add fireplace glass doors. Adding glass doors to your masonry fireplace can be an effective way to enhance the ambiance of your space, and they can keep things running safer and more efficiently, too.
- Update your cap or damper. If the components of your chimney are not doing so great, we can offer some excellent upgrade options for your masonry fireplaces and chimney like a custom cap or top-mounted damper. Factory built fireplaces (piped) should not have any aftermarket caps, shrouds, dampers, or doors installed.
- Invest in an Ahren-Fire Restoration System. These are all-in-one systems that increases efficiency, offer insulation, and improves fireplace performance.
- Have a changeout completed. Is your prefab system needing to be replaced? Ask us about scheduling a changeout, so you’re all set and ready to go come fall.
- Install an entirely new appliance. Whether you’re looking for a stove, insert, or fireplace, we can help you out. We sell products in a wide range of designs and fuel types, too, ensuring you get exactly what you’re looking for.
But First Things First…
Now, before scheduling any major updates or upgrades, we would first recommend scheduling an inspection to make sure everything is in good working order and that any additional work doesn’t need to be completed ahead of time. Here are some of the repairs that might have to be addressed first.
- Relining: Certain fuel types need the liner changed before the system can be used, and an incorrectly sized liner can affect the performance of the overall fireplace, too.
- Brick Tuckpointing: Over time, mortar joints erode and may need replacing. Tuckpointing is the process of grinding out the old, damaged mortar and putting new mortar in place, so your system looks good and stands strong for the long haul.
- Smoke Chamber Repair: The smoke chamber may need to be parged or repaired, and if this is the case for you, you’ll want it done well before completing any upgrades.
- Additional Leak Repairs: Water damage is all too common within chimney systems, but we have the tools and technology to address it. We have things to put in place to prevent it from recurring down the line.
The Doctor Is In for You & Your Chimney
As homeowners, you only want the best for your home and family. Here at the Chimney Doctor, we promise to meet and exceed your expectations with every service we offer. Our crew is known for providing personalized customer services and, with many years of training and experience under out belts, you can bet we know our stuff.
Don’t put it off. Give us a ring this spring or summer at 970-234-3330 or request an appointment through our website. We’d be happy to speak with you soon!